Monday, July 13, 2009

4th of July in the Tiny Valley: The Vallecito

I spent my 4th of July in Durango paddling the Vallecito. This is by far one of my favorite rivers I've ever paddled and this little creek brings a new meaning to the words "gorged out." We were able to run it once on Saturday and then two more times on Sunday.

The river started with a sketchy 18 foot waterfall, where if you botch the line you go into a cave where you have to take your PFD and helmet off to free climb through a small crack to get out. We ran this rapid blind, so no photos.

After Entrance Falls (the blind 18 footer) comes Trashcan, one of the nastier looking drops in the gorge. I really wouldn't want to swim through this thing. Bad things happen to people that swim through this thing, so try to keep it upright.


Another great rapid on the creek is called "Fuzzy Little Bunny" which is a difficult 15 foot boof into a highly aerated slot with several curtains of water pouring in from different directions. I imagine it's kinda what it's like running Gorilla on the Green River Narrows

Our guide, Eric, launching off the Bunny


Chris Menges, Plug and Pray

One of the last rapids is the toughest, it's called "Paddle Bitch" and if you screw it up, you get surfed in a hole that slams you into a rock that's shaped like a giant penis... Here's my line:
I ended up "getting dicked" at the end of the rapid, but I was able to surf out with some minor shoulder rape.

Overall this is one of the best rivers I've ever paddled. It is truely a unique experience being down in the gorge with the walls coming out of the river on both sides and going straight up for hundreds of feet. I highly recommend it if you get the chance.
After paddling the Vallecito, I was fortunate enough to experience the hospitality of Eric Parker and his wife Lisa in Durango. They hosted Chris and I for a few days and put on one helluva barbaque, complete with a late night float down the Animas through downtown Durango to watch the fireworks. Thanks a lot guys, you made this one of the best paddling trips I've ever taken.

No comments: