Thursday, March 5, 2009

That Dam Water

Due to the current drought situation in the southeast, I have had to paddle mostly dam-released rivers for the past few weeks.

We started running the Green every weekend, but the dam hasn't released in almost three weeks due to maintenance. Here are some pictures from the whitewater we used to run...

(how many people does it take to strap a backpack to a boat?)

(Don Lowry)

(Rob Tompkins - Go Left and Die Sequence)

(Rob Tompkins - Sunshine Falls)

(this is what I did to my boat at Rapid Transit)

(Hand Carnage - From Col. Dick's)

Since we live in Columbia, we always have the playspot on the Saluda river, but even that has a super low level, so my friend Matt Porter and I went out there to practice some swiftwater rescue skills...

When the Green stopped running, we headed all the way out to the Cheoah, which reminded me of the Ocoee on a mid-summer Saturday. There was so much carnage and it was such a mad house, that I didn't even bother taking any pictures, until we got off the river...

(Bo McDowell)

(the bone dry southeast)

(the moon - from outside my apartment)

There was a little bit of natural flow on the Saluda and Wilson creek last weekend, but it has been a pretty mellow semester so far. Hopefully the rain will come soon.

No comments: