Tuesday, March 31, 2009

HORSEPASTURE

Leland wasn't kidding: "This ultra classic bedrock shelf style run is a must do for serious creekers who want to experience the best the Jocassee drainage has to offer. The 1.5 miles of river that comprise the heart of the run between Rainbow Falls and Windy Falls averages well over 400 feet per mile with all drops runnable. Take your camera, because the clean huge rapids of this river are some of the most photogenic in the East."

I ran the Horsepasture with a crew of 5 other people on Saturday, and it was by far the most remote wilderness experience I have ever had, and the entire run is barely 3.5 miles. This run takes some time and some skills, as one of the guys said on the water "This makes the Green River Narrows look like Wilson Creek." If you are interested in running this river, we should talk first so I can give you the beta, because it's pretty hard to figure out on your own. Here are the photos:


(Ty McNeely at Turtleback Falls)

(Chris at Corner Pocket aka Raven Fork Rapid)

(Josh Wall at Thrasher Pike Ramp A aka Sidepocket A)

(Matt Porter at Thrasher Pike Ramp A)

(Matt Porter looking over Windy Falls)

I'll add more photos after I get them from the rest of the crew, this was an amazing day, I learned more about teamwork and paddling while running this river than I ever have before.

(that's me on stairstep falls - photo by josh wall)

(Jonathon at turtleback falls aka warmup ledge - photo by josh wall)

No comments: