Sunday, November 15, 2009

High Water Green and a FullOn Weekend

I started the weekend with my friend Matt on the Lower Rocky Broad. When we got to the river, we ran into my friend Corey and his buddy and the four of us paddled together. The river was really fun, a first time for all of us except Corey who had run it once before.

The rapids we a little on the mankier side and there was a bit of banging around, but we all made it down the river safely. Corey took some pictures, but I haven't been able to get them from him, so I'll post them whenever they become available.

After the Rocky Broad, Matt wanted to head to Linville to see old friends, so he dropped me off at the put in for the Green where I met up with my friend Jonathon and his friend Clayton. We put on the river with about 30 minutes of daylight and found the level to be very high. Normally when we run the Green in the summer, the gauge reads around 5.5 inches or 7 inches in the winter. On Friday, the gauge read 18 inches, or 250%.

We bombed down to Gorilla, we all three of us portaged in the interest of time. Gorilla looked insane at that level and I really wish we had more time to scout and set safety so we could run it, we'll get it next time.

After Gorilla, the slides all went pretty quick and the Nutcracker-Groove Tube-Sunshine combo was awesome (also my first time running Sunshine!).

By the time we got to Col. Dick's, it was pitch black out and we had to run the rest of the river in the dark. Hammer Factor is really scary at 250%, especially in the dark. I wish we could have at least scouted that one...

We didn't take any photos on the Green because it was waaaay too dark, but I'm looking forward to getting in there again with good light and high water to showcase some of the 200% lines.

When we arrived at the takeout, I jogged down to Wilderness Cove campground where I rendezvoused with some other friends who gave us a shuttle ride. I stayed with those guys at Wilderness Cove that night and we did some bouldering over in Rumbling Bald on Saturday.

It was really fun to explore the east side of the park at Rumbling Bald and analyze all the different problems out there. Here's some pictures of me in the boys playing on the rocks:



No comments: